Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What can I do to leak check my radiator in my 2001 Neon?

It appears to have a slow leak. Which hose should I change or should I just start by checking the clamps?
What can I do to leak check my radiator in my 2001 Neon?
with the engine cool fill the radiator to the max, put the cap on tight and let the engine idle. Watch for leaks as it heats up because the antifreeze will slowly expand and should show you where the leak is. The most common place for leaks is near the clamps.

If you cannot see any trace of a leak, look under the car for drips. It could be oozing out where you can't see it from above.

Still no sign? With engine running check exhaust for a slighty sweet smell that will indicate antifreeze is leaking past the headgasket and getting into the combustion chamber. If that is the case plan to get that fixed soon or it could leak enough to fill one of the cylinders and when you try to start it, the engine will lock up when it compresses the liquid. Might even damage the starter or flywheel ring.

Hope you find a small leak that is easily fixed.
What can I do to leak check my radiator in my 2001 Neon?
just look for signs of leakage around every hose clamp, and the water pump gasket
these are notorious for blown head gaskets. Where's the leak?
all of the hose's cuz no need to change just one
You will prolly have to take it to the shop because you wont have the right items to detect the leak if it's small enough. My dad (mechanic) has this fluid dye that you can put in your radiator and it comes with a special pair of glasses and a black light and you can see the leak only with the glasses and the black light
Definately start with the clamps and hoses, but don't rule out that the radiator itself could have a tiny leak.