Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hyundai Elantra 2000 GLS : Radiator coolant boiling?

I have Hyundai Elantra (2000 GLS model). There are couple of issues -

1. Recently I figured out that power steering fluid was leaking and that PS fluid tank was empty. But then I noticed that there is a leak in power steering high pressure hose. Mechanic told me expense of 350 bucks to do it. Is there any way I can get it this hose for cheap (even used will do)?



2. Secondly, I drove my car 100 miles in a stretch. (Never did that before in a stretch). And when I returned home, coolant inside radiator tank was boiling and splashing out from the small hose (located on the radiator tank - overflow hose). Temperature gauge was in the middle position and was not showing any overheating, etc. In a parking position, when I start engine, fan is running fine but secondary fan is just running when is tapped. Is it normal? Then I took my car to the couple of mechanics. One says that I need to replace thermostat, AC fan and radiator hoses. Second mechanic told me that radiator hoses and fan is fine but I may need to replace head gasket as that coolant is boiling. He ain't sure though about the issue. Changing the head gasket is damn costly. And I can not afford that much money as I am a student and these mechanics do not even look confident about what they are saying! I kindly request for some advises.

Thanks in advance!
Hyundai Elantra 2000 GLS : Radiator coolant boiling?
1. There are 2 things I recommend not to play with in repairs- brakes and steering components. You might get away with less money by using used components but, not so safe to be considered. Go with new component replacement is my advise.



2. Blown head gasket will not boil the coolant in the reservoir-it will rather indicate like a foam on the dipstick or oil cap. I would rather say its the thermostat stuck closed causing engine to overheat.
Hyundai Elantra 2000 GLS : Radiator coolant boiling?
1. I would not advise getting a used part as you never know how long it will last and may cost you more in the long run. You may be able to find and aftermarket part cheaper though.



2. Your thermostat is stuck in the closed position and is not letting cooler water get into the engine and that is why your coolant is booling. This is usually a cheap fix (under $150) depending where the thermostat is located. A blown headgasket will give you white smoke and make your oil a white/brown color and foamy.



Find different mechanics