Thursday, September 15, 2011

How do I change the thermostat on a 1998 Cadillac Catera?

I recently changed the lower radiator hose on my catera after I discovered a hole in it and it was forcing water out draining the radiator every time I drove and the car was still heating up, yet the radiator was full of the specified coolant (dexcool) and properly mixed. I asked a question about it here and an overwhelming amount of people told me that changing the thermostat would do the trick. How would I do this?
How do I change the thermostat on a 1998 Cadillac Catera?
follow the hose on the top of the radiator and at the end of it where it connects to the motor will be a clamp,loosen this clamp and pull of the hose, this will reveal nozzel that is bolted to the motor with 2 bolts, remove these 2 bolts and pull of this nozzel,this will expose the thermostat, just lift it out and you will need to scape off any gasket material from the opening on the motor and the enderside of the nozzel,install the new thermostat and new gasket with black permatex on bothsides(1/4 in.bead.)and put the nozzel back on the motor then the hose and tighten clamp, wait 30 minutes before starting car so the permatex can set up and you should be good to go.