Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why does my cars engine get so hot but the temp gauge does not??

a %26quot;mechanic%26quot; friend of mine noticed that my lower radiator hose looks like it sprays out coolant while im driving but not when the car is parked (answering my question of why i lose coolant but never see a drop on the ground) he says fixin it will make my engine not get so hot...i kind of don't think thats all that needs to be fixed...When i drive my dashboard temp gauge stays almost to C unless i have to idle for a long time or stuck in traffic but my engine gets insanely hot.. even when I got its oil changed last month the guy said WOW ur engine is too hot.. Any ideas why the engine gets soo hot and the gauge doesnt tell me? Im gettin the spark plugs and wires (they are horribly worn) and the lower radiator hose replaced friday and i had a radiator flush. I always check to see if there is coolant and i add it as needed.
Why does my cars engine get so hot but the temp gauge does not??
The coolant temperature sensor or temp sending unit could be faulty. This switch measures the temperature and sends a signal to the computer to tell the guage where to go. Usually they range from 10-50 dollars. However it could also be the thermostat not opening to allow the coolant through. Though if it was the thermostat you should have noticed an overheating problem a lot more often.



Fixing the lower hose may also fix the problem as the water flow will be restored allowing the cooling system to actually cool your engine by cyling the water all the way through the system.
Why does my cars engine get so hot but the temp gauge does not??
Coolant temperature sensor could be bad...
There could be a bad ground (many late models need the grounds), the sensor or guage could be bad ,
if the engine is hot but the water is not, check the thermostat

temporarily remove it if not, check water pump
Hi,

Please check the following

1.Thermostat

2.Water pump

3.temperature sensor

4.All drive belts