Thursday, October 6, 2011

Heater Gauge in my 91 Acura Legend says engine overheating but Engine is cool! changed Thermostat & Water Hose?

The heater gauge says the engine is way hot but I can touch the engine with my hands. The upper water hose busted and replaced it. Lower Water hose doesn't heat up at all. Replaced thermostat. Still no change also the car heater only works randomly. Radiator is bubbling hot, when I open the cap the Antifreeze bubbles and overflows. Stil the engine is at operating temperature not overheating. What could be my problem? do I have a blown head gasket? or do I have a radiator problem? please help!
Heater Gauge in my 91 Acura Legend says engine overheating but Engine is cool! changed Thermostat %26amp; Water Hose?
It is definitely the water pump.

At the first part of the question, I thought of the temp. sending unit, but after I read the radiator is bubbling hot but the upper hose busting and the lower hose not getting hot, that tells me that there is no coolant circulating although the thermostat opens.

Replace the water pump before you do cause a head gasket leak. You will overheat the engine and possibly warp the heads.

REPLACE THE WATER PUMP!
Heater Gauge in my 91 Acura Legend says engine overheating but Engine is cool! changed Thermostat %26amp; Water Hose?
You probably have a dead water pump.
Sorry Bud, Bubbling antifreeze should be head gasket. Does the exhaust smell sweet and or white smoke? The head gasket will go out when you have an over heat situation like the rad hose busting on you.