Thursday, October 6, 2011

The two heat pipes in a car, one of my hoses is leaking antifreeze, does the heat pipe connect to water pump?

I have a 94 Taurus. One of the little hoses on one of the two heat pipes is leaking antifreeze. I went to an auto place to get a replacement but they had different cuts of heat hose, one is pipe to water pump, another is Heater outlet Heater to pipe - cut to fit, another is Pipe to thermostat, another is Pipe to thermostat. These are all types of heat hoses (fits) that can be purchased for my car.



I have no idea which one it is as I'm trying to learn about cars and am very new to this stuff, as I understand a hose change isn't hard thus why I want to learn.



To give a description, the leak is on the right (driver) side of my car, the upper radiator hose connects into some part of the engine, on the back of this part is where the heat hoses are connected, one of those hoses are leaking. These hoses lead into the dash of the car (there's 2) and one is spraying antifreeze.



I'm thinking it may be pipe to water pump hose I need but just would like someone Else's opinion.



I took a picture, it's on the right driver side and the hose in question is circled in red, I know other other end (not visible in picture) connects to the actual heat pipe leading to the dash, I just need to know the circled device so I get the right hose, is that the water pump possibly?



http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7727/鈥?/a>
The two heat pipes in a car, one of my hoses is leaking antifreeze, does the heat pipe connect to water pump?
Looks like one of the hoses to the back of the intake manifold, if you look right below the hose that is circled there is another heater hose. If it were me I would go to a Ford dealer, the parts catalog will have a picture of all the hoses for the cooling system, then all you have to do is point at the right one. If none of the other hoses have been replaced you may want to think about replacing them all so your not doing this again in a few months.
The two heat pipes in a car, one of my hoses is leaking antifreeze, does the heat pipe connect to water pump?
Joe, take another picture from further back so I can see the entire engine, it is too close up to tell exactly what we are looking at. The water pump has a belt driven pulley on it, but I can't tell from the picture if that is what you are showing. Honestly your best bet is to drain the radiator and remove the hose and take it in to the parts store, then match it up to the ones they have to offer. It's coming off either way, lol.