Thursday, October 6, 2011

The two heat pipes in a car, one of my hoses is leaking antifreeze, does the heat pipe connect to water pump?

I have a 94 Taurus. One of the little hoses on one of the two heat pipes is leaking antifreeze. I went to an auto place to get a replacement but they had different cuts of heat hose, one is pipe to water pump, another is Heater outlet Heater to pipe - cut to fit, another is Pipe to thermostat, another is Pipe to thermostat. These are all types of heat hoses (fits) that can be purchased for my car.



I have no idea which one it is as I'm trying to learn about cars and am very new to this stuff, as I understand a hose change isn't hard thus why I want to learn.



To give a description, the leak is on the right (driver) side of my car, the upper radiator hose connects into some part of the engine, on the back of this part is where the heat hoses are connected, one of those hoses are leaking. These hoses lead into the dash of the car (there's 2) and one is spraying antifreeze.



I'm thinking it may be pipe to water pump hose I need but just would like someone Else's opinion.



I took a picture, it's on the right driver side and the hose in question is circled in red, I know other other end (not visible in picture) connects to the actual heat pipe leading to the dash, I just need to know the circled device so I get the right hose, is that the water pump possibly?



http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7727/鈥?/a>
The two heat pipes in a car, one of my hoses is leaking antifreeze, does the heat pipe connect to water pump?
The one you have pictured is apparently coming from the thermostat housing to the (cannot see the other end). Now...

This is the larger hose you have circled in red. It appears to be a radiator hose and not a heater hose. For example the heater hose will be the approximate diameter of a male human thumb. The radiator hose will be the approximate diameter of a Pepsi/Coke can (quite possibly a little smaller)



You need to be very specific about this as getting the wrong hose will not work.



I also suggest you discard the spring type clamp on this hose (both ends) and get a compression clamp (complete circular clamp, silver in color with a 5/16 {aka} 8 mm head screw on one side) to replace it. The spring type clamps have a very high failure rate and do cause leaks. Especially after they have been removed one time.
The two heat pipes in a car, one of my hoses is leaking antifreeze, does the heat pipe connect to water pump?
Easiest way is to remove the leaking hose. Take it with you to get the replacement.The technician can match both the diameter and length take the new hose home and install it.Buy new hose clamps with the hose as u may need to cut the old clamps to get them off
You have to tell us which hoses the auto parts place called them. I, for one, do not understand pipe to water pump or pipe to dash or any of that.

Your car like most cars has an upper and a lower radiator hose. The radiator being the black honey-comb looking thing at the front of the car, the one with a fan or two on it.

Your car also has an inlet and an outlet heater hose, and maybe a bypass hose.



One thing, what you circled in the picture is definitely not the water pump because the water pump has a pulley with a belt on it.
From the photo, that looks like the upper radiator hose. Both hoses going into the dash are heater hoses and should be the same.
take it off and take it in and show them what you need.